Thursday, September 22, 2005

This, actually instead of being technical in exact sense, is a reflection about the book I just finished reading and my own situation.

"Linked." That is the name of the book. Written by Albert-Laszlo Barabasi, a professor from University of Notre Dame, a physicist by profession, it is about the network theory. This theory, I found out after finishing reading the book, has been used in large number of scientific disciplines to explain phenomenon previously almost unexplainable or thought to be too much complicated. For example, metabolic network in biological cell, behavior of the Internet, relationship among people in a society, among many other things.

I finished that book yesterday evening. I wanted to write a small review right at that moment. But somehow I lapsed in that. Interestingly, this morning I read a news about a Cornell University Computer Science professor, Jon Kleinberg who recently received McArthur Fellowship from John D. and Catherine Foundation worth $500,000. That is a huge amount, especially when you receive it unannounced and suddenly. Over that, guess what?! He received that award for his work in Network Theory !!! That award is also dubbed as "Genius Award."

Here, I am trying to figure out way to find relationship among different types of atoms in a sub-thousand atom system so that I will be able to visualize is properly to project maximum information about their structural changes. People are researching about exploiting the inherent network relationship inherent among human-human, human-economy, human-society, and so on. Atoms also form networks. In this network, links can be their force-relationship, bonding-relationship, among many other things. But what characterizes a structure. When it comes to extracting properties about bulk-material from about hundreds to thounds of atom system, I am finding it really a daunting task. Over that, withouth proper training in physics, every little detail, is hindering my progress.

Anyway, good luck to Jon Kleinberg.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home